Beautiful Memories

Well, after reading Sue's Blog I am in a very sweet dreamy mood, remembering my pregnant months and then Nia being born...
I loved being pregnant. The first 3 months were pretty difficult because morning sickness wasn't too easy on me. It was all day, all night, no matter what I tried I was just feeling awful. I can't stand ginger but that was the only thing that sort of made me feel human again, so I was on a diet of ginger tea and ginger cakes 24/7.
My parents were extatic about the news...after the first initial shock. I mean it's not like I was 16 years old and/or was living in a nunnery. But still, we weren't planning to have a baby just yet. And my Dad took it particularly hard; this news meant his little girl has grown up. That I was becoming a parent myself. Wow!

3 months pregnant
The second trimester was the best time of my life. The morning sickness stopped, I was full of energy, there were no aches and pains and...ermm..sex was the best ever.
My clothes were getting tighter and tighter but I was so proud of my bump. I wanted everyone to acknowledge that I am pregnant, carrying a child, am sensible grown up, glam Yummy Mummy etc.
But in reality I was struggling to find proper clothes to fit as even pregnant I was small and what fit on my bump was huge everywhere else. Most people thought I was having a boy as I had a 'football-tummy'.


On holiday at 6 months pregnant
The last 3 months weren't that much fun. It was the middle of summer, far too hot for an 8 months pregnant gal. I was stuck in London as I wasn't allowed to fly anymore, so I felt pretty bored and tired. My feet ballooned (with the rest of me, really) and I resembled the Elephant Man. By August I was really keen to just have this baby any minute.

This is me chilling with a face mask at 6 months pregnant
The day arrived on Saturday,21 August 2004.
My contractions started at around 5pm and became 2 minutes apart by 7 o'clock. We arrived in the hospital by 7:15 and were told the baby wouldn't arrive before dawn as I was only 2cm dilated. The family decided to stay and wait and boy were they right! Suddenly at 10:16pm I felt the unstoppable urge to push. I didn't have anything else but a Pethadine injection at 7:30 which was a hugeeee mistake as it made me feel so drowsy and disoriented I could hardly see straight. It did not take the pain away, so next time Pethadine will definitely be a no-no.
The urge to push was something I never felt before but interestingly it made everything so easy! I pushed for 15 minutes exactly and after a 5 hour labour at 22:31 Nia Eve Roberts was born weighing 7lbs 4oz and measuring 53cm.
She was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! She was dressed in all white and today I held her little babygrow that she wore for the first time...it is soo tiny!

Tears of joy... Nia a few minutes old
So, thanks Sue for the 'idea', it brought back all these beautiful memories and made me realise once again how lucky we Mummies are!

And Baby if you're reading this: THANK YOU!